Friday 7 July 2017

Lactose tolerance improves with "fiber"


One of the comments below says that fiber helped improve lactose tolerance. It is possible. Because usually as another commentor points out that when one takes lots of antibiotics, the good bacteria diet and so the bacteria to digest milk also die.

So, perhaps, when one adds fiber to diet, one is able to grow those bacteria back. Perhaps, this helps in bringing back the ability to digest lactose.


***


Terry Butts
JUNE 23, 2017 AT 6:42 AM

I was told 30 years ago that I was lactose intolerant by my OB/GYN after the birth of my second child. It started with just gas…lots of little silent toots (the non-odiferous kind , thank goodness). Over the years it developed on in to what I assumed was lactose intolerance. I never had the diarrhea issue but cramping and bloating appeared within 30 minutes of a sip of milk or bite of hubby’s ice cream. Thank goodness I could still eat cheese in moderation. I switched to lactose free milk and all but gave up ice cream. About 3 weeks ago I bought a huge bottle of fiber gummies from Sams Club. They are delish and I have to remember not to eat more than 2/day. I have become very regular which I have never been. These gummies do have some kind of probiotic. Well, since starting the gummies, I consumed an ice cream sandwich at DQ and then waited for the pain and bloating. IT NEVER CAME! About a week later, I tested it again with another ice cream sandwich, this one was even larger. Again, I had no symptoms. I forgot to mention that caffeine has also given me issues over the years, causing excessive, painful gas. I drank two glasses of iced tea and had a cup of ice cream a few nights ago. I did have a little tummy discomfort, but think it was the food that accompanied my indulgences. (We were at a large gathering where 750 people were catered.). My question is, do you think I was ever lactose/caffeine intolerant or did I just need more fiber in my diet? I am now 62 so have been fighting this for 30 years now.

Nancy Max
NOVEMBER 21, 2016 AT 11:29 AM

I have been Lactose Intolerant for many years. It was a result of taking large amounts of antibiotics before going to the dentist. That used to be protocol if one had a heart murmur. I had both that and lousy teeth, so many trips to the dentist and therefore many antibiotics. Antibiotics kill bacteria, but do not distinguish between good and/or bad bacteria, therefore they kill the good bacteria in your stomach that you need to digest dairy products.

https://chriskresser.com/how-to-cure-lactose-intolerance/

No comments:

Post a Comment